Saturday, October 6, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012: Day 1 to 2

I take my late summer vacation from October 5 to 15 this year.  There are still so many places in the world where I would like to visit, but among them I chose to go to the USA to deliver my first essay to those who are important to my life.   There are many people whom I want to see in the USA, but since the book is about my experience in Florida, I decided to spend more time in Florida.
I booked the flight tickets from Narita - New York - Miam - Chicago- Narita by Internet, which cost yen 120, 310.  To get the US VISA, I applied ESTA from Internet which cost $14.
I decided to see Ms. Beate Sirota Gordon who contributed to the Japanese Constitution including women's equal right in New York, friends and colleagues and host families in Florida, and teacher from university in Chicago.
I left home around 11:30 and took Keihin kyuko line to get to the Narita Airport which takes about 3 hours.  Then I took the UA882 leaving at 16:35 and arriving at Chicago at 14:49.  During about 11 hours  14 minutes flight there were dinner, snack, and breakfast.  We used to be served the snack and a drink soon after the departure, but there was not this time.  To my lucky there was no one next to me.  We arrived at Chicago 40 minutes earlier and entered the USA there.  There was a dog searching something.  And it stopped in front of the family who carried the banana served in the plane.  After re-checking the baggage, I checked the emails.  The next flight's plane came late and we had to wait and left there about one hour late.  Before arriving at New York there found bad problems with flaps and we needed to wait for landing until fire trucks were ready.  When we landed, people clapped with joy.
In New York, I took NJ transit and subway to go to Manhattan which cost $12.50 and $2.50 respectively.  We had a nice reunion at Ms. Beate Sirota Gordon's Apartment for a few hours.
Then I went back to the airport by the same route.  The Newark Airport is 24 hours open, and I spent the waiting time to read a book and solve some sudoku.
The next flight was early morning at 6:10 to Miami.  I saw the very beautiful sunrise from the plane.
It took about 3 hours to get to Miami.  There I was going to take Tri-Train but I missed the shuttle.  I called my best friend and asked to pick me up at the airport which was far much better.
It was chilly and slightly raining in Chicago, fine in New York, and very hot in sunny Florida.
It was a very long trip, and I could relax the rest of the day. 

2 comments:

  1. Hola Kimiko.
    I hope you are having fun in Usa. About your trip i have something to say. You said that no one was sit by you and you were glad, but i can tell you the time i flow from Spain to New York and the woman sit next to me told me to kiss her, it was a bit o fun and a bit of surprise. One have to be always "open" to new experiences hehehehe. Kisses my dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Victor.
    I got home.
    On my way back from Chicago, there was no man next to me at first, but after all he came, so there were three of us. (I was on the window side as usual.) I do not like to ask somebody for the restroom, so I prefer open space.
    I hope to travel by business or first class someday!

    ReplyDelete